REAL MAN of ALASKA
Mr. July 2013
As Alaskan Romance Writers
we are always on the lookout for
Hot Hunky Hero types ---
So please, Mr. Alaska Man - tell us about yourself.
1. Were you born in Alaska, and if not, then how did you end up here? What do you do for a living, and what do you do for fun. Age, height, favorite food, and any other statistics you are willing to share. Just remember though, we are a PG 13 site and blush easily.
I was not born in Alaska, I'm a born and bred New Yorker.
I came to Alaska on a travel assignment (I'm a Respiratory Therapist) and returned to stay a few years later. I'm 35 and 6'. I have a fairly strict diet, but when I go home to NY, I try and ingest all the pizza (the ONLY real pizza on the planet) and bagels (see comment about pizza) I can.
2. What kind of woman appeals to you, and who do you let make the first move, you or her?
I love a woman who is independent; someone who isn't afraid to try new things. I look at life as an adventure, so a woman who can share that view is what I like. As for first moves... I will never knock a woman for making a first move. It shows that she is confident and knows what she wants and that usually pays off later ;)
3. Where is your favorite place to take a girl on a first date, and why?
For a first date, I like to stay away from movies and dinner. That is so impersonal. Its Alaska! How about some outdoor activities? Summer hikes or bike rides... Winter snowshoeing.. Then perhaps somewhere to warm up?
The wildest thing that has happened to me while with a female companion was taking a hike though some pretty deserted (by humans anyway) trails and hearing the animals and seeing the footprints (pretty fresh ones at that) and trekking on, watching each other's back.
5. Winter can be long, dark, and very cold here in Alaska. What are your favorite frosty pastime activities? And, what is the coldest temp you'e seen/been in?
6. And, if we ask about winter then we simply must inquire about the too short, wonderful summers.
I definitely feel the pressure to accomplish all I can during the summer weeks. Besides camping, I love hiking and mountain biking. I love the water so I hope to get some kayaking and stand up paddle boarding in. I just competed in my first triathalon last month.
7. Alaskan men take their vehicles very seriously. What is your favorite mode of transport and why?
I drive a truck, but nothing beats taking something on 2 wheels and going fast enough to be considered stupid.. I do enjoy the snow machine, but its 2 wheels for me!
8. What is your favorite Alaskan animal – to see along the highway or on your dinner plate?
I'm a vegetarian so I don't like to see animals on my plate. I am a dog lover so my favorite would have to be our very own Alaskan Malamute.
9. Have you ever wrestled a polar bear, mushed a dog team, panned for gold, eaten muktuk, done the polar bear plunge, climbed Denali, run the Mt. Marathon, or any of the other Found Only In Alaska activities?
Sadly, I have done none of those things, but there's still time so I better get on it!
10. In your opinion, what exactly is it that makes an Alaskan Male so wonderfully macho and appealing?
The Alaskan Male has to be a part of nature. He has to fend off deadly animals and be pretty handy with an axe to for all those winter fires.
11. What’s the biggest fish you’ve ever landed?
I caught a 45lb halibut a few years back. That was when I still ate them though.
12. Other than making love under them, what is your favorite thing to do when the Northern Lights are out and putting on a show?
Umm... there's other things?
13. And last but certainly not least, what is the most romantic thing about Alaska, and why?
Our thanks to JOHN - 'Mr. July 2013' for a great interview on what REAL ALASKA MEN are all about.