Friday, February 11, 2011

Going Wild in Alaska


I've been living in Alaska for almost four years, but GO WILD is the first book I've set there. I think I was too nervous to offer my take on Alaska to my new friends! (Of course, I love the place, but it has its quirks.)

I also didn't feel qualified until I'd lived here a few winters. Alaskans call newcomers "cheechakos," which probably means something like "I give her six months before she runs screaming." Oldtime Alaskas are called "sourdoughs." I'm not sure how long you have to be here until you've earned that title. And I'm not sure I want it. Sour? Doughy? Not the sexiest term I can think of.

But now that I'm in the vague zone between cheechako and sourdough, I finally feel brave enough to set a story in Alaska. This state has much inspiration to offer, and as an erotic romance author I put my own twist on. To enjoy life in Alaska, you have to find some way to get through the winters. So I put my naughty imagination to work and asked the question, what if a (completely fictional) town held a midwinter festival during which all normal rules of proper behavior were suspended and only one rule applied--"Anything goes, nothing counts." Kind of like going to Vegas without the slot machines.

And that was the inspiration for GO WILD, out now from Ellora's Cave. It's super-extra-steamy, but I have a good excuse. Winters are long and hard here in Alaska!! Here's the blurb:

Lars loves Katia. Katia loves Lars. Lars wants to marry Katia. Can he convince his free-spirited lover that marriage will be as fun as her sexually adventurous single days?

Never before has Katia been tempted to give up her carefree ways. She’s deeply in love with Lars, but she doesn’t know if he can handle her wild side—or wilder needs. But Lars is a hard man to resist. The former Olympic champion won’t give up, not when he knows just how to please her.

The people of Wild, Alaska, know the best way to survive winter is to let off a little steam. When his buddies hit town for Wild Nights, a notorious winter festival with one rule—“anything goes, nothing counts”—Lars has the perfect opportunity to prove he’s the man for Katia.

Lucky for Katia, “proof” includes four rugged Alaska men and one wildly erotic night.

Reader Advisory: Features an extended ménage (M/F/M/M/M) and references to bondage experimentation and sexual escapades of all types. Woohoo!
If you'd like to read an excerpt, here's the link. Enjoy the rest of the winter!

Juniper Bell


6 comments:

Lynn Lovegreen said...

I love your definitions for cheechako and sourdough. (For the literal-minded out there, sourdoughs were originally the old miners who made their bread with sourdough [since they didn't have store-bought yeast at hand]. And generally, you have to make it through an Alaskan winter to qualify.)

It does take a certain level of insanity to survive our winters year after year. But your fictional version sounds like a lot more fun! Have a good time with it!

Anonymous said...

I think you caught the 'insanity' of winter in Alaska very well. Just wish I had a road-map to Wild.;-}

♥ Sallie said...

Sounds good!

Hugs,

Morgan O'Reilly said...

What DeNise said, where's the map? Of course, I realize it's super secret and requires code rings and oaths, but I'm worthy, I swear!

LizbethSelvig said...

Haven't been to Wild yet, but it's one of my next scheduled trips. Looking forward to it and I hope lots and lots of people come to visit!
Love ya!

Juniper Bell said...

DeNise, Sallie, Liz and Morgan, thanks for stopping by! Maybe this will be a case of "if you build it, they will come." If I invent Wild Nights, maybe it will start to happen. LOL.

Lynn, thanks for clarifying "sourdough." Do you know what the origin of cheechako is? I'd love to hear that too!